Three cast members who have been a long time part of Sesame Street were let go this past week and fans of the long running series were upset over this news. In fact, an outpouring from fans seems to have changed the minds of the show’s producers.
According to KQED Arts, Roscoe Orman, one of the cast members who was cut from Sesame Street after having been with the series since 1974, took to Facebook to share the news that producers may actually be looking to bring him and the other two cast members back. The news was then shared by Emilio Delgado, another one of the ejected cast members.
In Roscoe Orman’s post he issued a statement that spoke for all of them, as they thanked all of their supporters for their appreciation. He said that because of the overwhelming response from all of their viewers, the producers of Sesame Street has reached out to all of them to say that they want to try to continue the long time relationship between the actors and the show. While this still requires a conversation, the actor did say that they would be sharing the results of that discussion once it had taken place.
Fox News Latino the original news about the actors getting let go from the show was shared by Bob McGrath, who had been with the series for 45 years before learning that he was out of a job. The actor shared the news as part of a question and answer session held at an event for Florida Supercon. Apparently, the actor said that now that HBO had gotten involved they had made the decision to let go all of the original cast members of Sesame Street, with the exception of Chris Knowings and Alan Muraoka.
With grown up kids basically throwing tantrums over this casting news, it should come as no surprise that the studio and producers might be having second thoughts about their decision to let go of long-time cast members. While Sesame Street may have announced the cast members would be departing the show on July 28, it looks like this may not last and by August 1 the decision could be made to bring the actors back to keep the viewers happier. Now everyone will just have to wait to see whether the veterans will be a part of upcoming productions or if HBO chooses to stick with the decision to bring in new blood.
What do you think of this news? Are you surprised that the producers of Sesame Street might ultimately bring the actors back? Tell us what you think in the comments below. For more CDA News, follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
By Dorothea James
Photo Courtesy Sesame Street