On September 20, Steve Harvey had a message for the people who included him in their lawsuit against NASCAR. During his radio show, the entertainer let people know that they were not going to get away with dragging his name into this particular situation.
According to USA Today, Steve Harvey was named in a $500 million lawsuit that was filed federally against NASCAR claiming that they are discriminatory against not only black-owned teams, but also black drivers. However, it would seem this was done without the entertainer’s permission because he made it quite clear that he has absolutely no problem with NASCAR and that he never has.
In fact, after sharing his desire not to be included in this lawsuit, Steve Harvey read a letter that he apparently sent just last year to the head of Diversity Motorsports Racing, Terrance Cox. In the letter he asks that his name not be included in any litigation moving forward.
On Friday, Diversity Motorsports and Terrance Cox filed their lawsuit with the U.S. District Court in the Southern District of New York. Then a reworked version of the lawsuit was refiled on Monday, which in turn prompted the Tuesday response from Steve Harvey. Reading from the letter that he had, the entertainer said that while they can certainly support the efforts made to bring educational training to the underprivileged youth, it is ultimately not in “our best interests to be part of any settlement or lawsuit of any kind.”
Apparently in the lawsuit, Terrance Cox and Diversity Motorsports allege that NASCAR actually told Steve Harvey that they would not “sanction any race teams” that were associated with their organization. They said this lead to them being unfairly denied any opportunity to put together their own NASCAR team.
However, while this may be what the lawsuit had to say, Steven Harvey had an entirely different story. According to the entertainer, the problem with this particular story is that he has never had a meeting like this with NASCAR. In fact, he made it clear that he has never even been interested in having a race car. He said that he does not even like fast cars and he instead first prefers “big slow cars.”
While Steve Harvey slammed the inclusion of his name in this lawsuit, he was not the only one to speak out. NASCAR also released a statement denying the claims laid out in the suit against them. Now it remains to be seen how this is dealt with and if the entertainer will continue to be involved in some way with this legal battle.
What do you think of this lawsuit? What do you think of the inclusion of the Steve Harvey as part of the suit? Tell us what you think in the comments below. For more CDA News, follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook.
Commentary by Dorothea James