New Jersey State Police have opened an investigation after a sewing needle was found in a child’s bag of Halloween candy, with the discovery thankfully being made by the mother before the treat was eaten. The incident occurred in Commercial Township, Cumberland County.
According to FOX News, the mother came across the sewing needle while checking her child’s candy after they had returned home from trick-or-treating, between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m. on Halloween night. Photographic evidence posted on the NJSP’s Facebook page depicts that the treat used to hide the sharp instrument was stuck inside a Tootsie Roll, before the candy was re-wrapped and placed back in the culprit’s Halloween bowl.
Authorities say there are no suspects at this time, but the investigation remains ongoing as they piece together clues of the night’s events and wait to see if any other parents come forward with similar occurrences. In the Facebook post, the New Jersey State Police urged all parents to check their children’s candy as soon as possible, before allowing the youths to continue eating them.
Every year, reports surface on Halloween night or shortly after of dangerous items being discovered in the bags of treats kid bring home. A few years ago, in the Canadian town of Winnipeg, Manitoba, CTV News gave detail to a mother’s fright when she found prescription pills in a Smarties box handed to her 11-month old son that evening. While only five actual Smarties were in the box, a total of 17 pills came along with them. Thick glue had been put on the box in order to re-seal it after the tampering took place. Medical personnel confirmed that, had the baby consumed the pharmaceuticals, the result would for sure have been fatal. A pharmacist gave local news reporters his medical opinion that the pills discovered were most likely Hydroxyzine, an allergy medication that works as an antihistamine.
Each year, police urge parents to make sure that all Halloween candy and treats are wrapped, and to check the wrapper to make sure everything is fully sealed and has not been opened. They are discouraged from allowing their children to accept apples or other fruit, given that these items are far more easily tampered with as there is no covering on them. Although reports of razor blades in apples are almost always false, law enforcement officials still ask that parents be vigilant in their inspections.
By Lorelai Zelmerlow
Photo Courtesy New Jersey State Police