On Friday, while aboard Air Force One, Donald Trump stated that he may issue an executive order for a different travel ban. Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, says that administration may escalate the legal battle over Trump’s first ban all the way to the Supreme court, reports the New York Times.
Two weeks ago, Donald Trump issued an executive order banning citizens and refugees from entering the United States from seven mainly Muslim countries. The ban triggered Trump’s administration’s most serious legal battle to date. Trump’s ban also triggered protests across the nation and abroad.
Last week, a federal judge in Seattle put a temporary restraining order on the travel ban, putting it on hold. On Tuesday, an appeals court in San Francisco upheld that restraining order
Donald Trump met with reporters aboard Air Force One as he was headed to Florida. Trump informed the media that he was considering issuing a brand-new order. He stated he could issue the new order as early as Monday or Tuesday, reports AM New York.
Officials at the White House has stated that the administration has no plans to move the situation to the Supreme Court, but on Friday Priebus told reporters the opposite. He said that every court option is on the table right now. He stated they could decide to appeal to the Ninth Circuit or take it straight to the Supreme Court. He said the case would stand on its own merits. He added that they were currently pursuing a new executive order that they hope will be enacted soon. He told reporters the new order will protect Americans from terrorism.
Donald Trump’s ban, which he referred to as a “national security measure,” barred people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen from entering the United States for 90 days and refugees for 120 days. The ban also prohibited refugees from Syria from entering the United States indefinitely.
Reportedly, Donald Trump could rewrite his order and exclude permanent residents or green card holders from the ban. By doing so it would alleviate some of the major concerns about the ban, reports The Hill. During his discussion with reporters on Air Force One, Trump stated that they would win this battle.
If Donald Trump does move forward with rewriting the ban it is most likely that White House aide Stephen Miller will be involved. Miller helped to draft the original ban. At this time, it is unclear what steps Trump will take moving forward.
By Tammy Marie Rose
Photo Courtesy DoD/Twitter