On Thursday, in Springfield Township, paramedics were called to a heartbreaking scene. An elderly woman had to be removed from a chair that she had molded to. Rescuers believe the elderly woman may have been stuck to the chair for close to a year.
Barbara Foster, 75, had meals delivered to her home. A church volunteer, who delivered the food to Foster on Thursday called 911 when he noticed that she was not acting like her normal self. The church volunteer told Springfield Township, Ohio authorities that he has been delivering meals to Foster for over a decade, but that he hadn’t seen her out of her living room chair since June of 2016, reports News 10.
Foster’s goddaughter and nearby neighbor, Lerrin Snyder, told local authorities that Foster was a hoarder, but that she had no idea her situation had gotten so out of control. She added that she had not visited with Foster in a long time.
When the fire department arrived at the elderly woman’s Springfield Township home, they found her sitting in a chair in the living room. Rescuers quickly realized that Foster, who weighed over 500 pounds, was stuck in the chair. She was surrounded by feces and urine and responders said the smell from the waste was so strong you could smell it from the sidewalk. Rescuers had to wear hazmat suits to enter the home.
The church volunteer told rescuers that the house had smelled that way the entire time he had delivered food to her, reports PIX 11. Foster had been in the chair so long that her body had weakened and her skin had molded to the chair.
As first responders removed Foster from the chair she screamed in agony. Even though she was removed as gently as possible, her bones were so frail that they were breaking as Springfield Township EMS carried her from the house.
Foster was taken to the University of Toledo Medical Center where she is said to be recovering. A spokesperson for the Medical Center told local media that there was no information available for a patient by the name of Foster, reports WKRN.com.
Springfield Township officials posted a large orange sign on Foster’s front window that declared her home to be “unfit for habitation” on Friday morning. The sign was put up after the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department assessed the residence. Officials had left discarded surgical-like masks in the yard and caution tape now surrounds the Ohio residence.
By Tammy Marie Rose
Photo Courtesy Google Earth