A dog owner in Colorado learned the hard way the importance of being more careful where she walks her dog. Now she is speaking out in hopes of preventing other dogs from going through what her Golden Retriever did.
Patty Moore noticed that her dog, Chance, was acting strangely so she gave her veterinarian a call. Moore told that vet that Chance could not stand. She stated that it was like his legs had stopped working, reports CNN.
Moore took Chance into the Colorado vet’s office where he was diagnosed as having eaten marijuana. The signs that your four-legged friend may have ingested marijuana are drunk or stupefied behavior without an apparent reason and appearing to be depressed.
Moore told local media that she had taken Chance for a walk just days after a pro-marijuana rally, which has held on April 20. Moore believes that it is during this walk the Chance came upon and ate some edible pot. Moore believes that Chance either licked or ate a marijuana-laced brownie or cookie.
Dr. Allison Jenkins, Moore’s veterinarian with the Highlands Animal Clinic stated that when a dog consumes marijuana it can be affected by it for several days.
If it is caught early enough the veterinarian can induce vomiting. If it isn’t caught early enough a vet will need to provide supportive care, reports The Post Independent.
Jenkins adds that it is vital to the dog’s recovery for the vet to know how much pot the animal has ingested.
In 2012 Colorado voted to legalize marijuana. Two years later it had dispensaries open. Vets in the state state that they have seen an increase in pets, especially dogs, getting into their owner’s stash.
Denver’s VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital states that it has seen a 200 percent increase in pet related toxicity cases the Pet Poison Hotline have received.
Once the marijuana is ingested a pet can quickly become overcome by their symptoms. There have been cases of pets dying from eating too much marijuana or food laced with marijuana, reports Nature World News.
A report from the human society of Boulder Valley in Colorado states that animals do not get high the same way that people do. The symptoms that appear in pets, agitation, staggering, stupor, are not enjoyable to pets.
Moore shares that she is grateful that Chance made a full recovery, but she wants to share Chance’s story so others in Colorado and across the United States will be aware of how marijuana can affect their pets.
By Tammy Marie Rose
Photo Courtesy Facebook